Re: [xmca] a return to Kevin's paper

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2006 - 16:57:24 PDT

I like your highlighting of "acting into a context" bb. I am still fumbling
around with the ideas in Kevin's paper, the use of context being one of
them.
If we consider context to be a relational term that is never static, always
in-production, we are always helping to create the contexts we are "acting
in
to." In a parallel way, we are always creating the subject positionings
that position us. When I get to that thought I start to worry about the
issue of
symmetry. Sure, we make history, BUT not under conditions of our own
choosing. And, from the perspective of an individual as part of a social
group (in assymetrical relations such as your describe from your history) it
sure does not feel symmetrical.

As you say, lots of thoughts generated by Kevin's article.
mike