[xmca] Interesting thoughts

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 09:29:01 PDT

I realize that people are reading Kevin's article when they have time and
that time is scarce. I pass along the
following as a contribution to the "causations sub-thread" of that
discussion.
mike

    "Countering prior physicalist views, the new principles
     of causality affirm that subjective human values are today
     the most strategically powerful driving force governing the
     course of events in the civilized world--and the key to our
     global predicament and its solution." (p. 8)

         "The dynamics of the mental progression are determined
     presumably by emergent cognitive properties functioning
     as wholes and as subjectively experienced. The dynamics
     and laws for causal progression at the mental or cognitive
     level are thus quite different from those in the lower-level
     neurophysiology....Human values...are no longer treated as
     being merely parallel or epiphenomenal to brain function.
     Subjective values become causally interactive...and thus
     qualify as legitimate causal constructs, ineliminable in
     scientific explanation." (p. 28)

Reference
   Sperry, R. (1995). The Riddle of Consciousness and the Changing
Scientific Worldview. *Journal of Humanistic Psychology* 35(2).