Re: [xmca] Re: And Franklin??

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 12:32:17 PDT

Carol,
What I meant is that social relationships of equality and partnership in
joint construction of the subject-matter of pretend (or imagination) are
a condition for entering into play worlds -- without establishing these
kinds of relationships, play worlds are almost impossible to develop --
they either never get off the ground or they are hard to sustain, to
develop further and they easily break up. The reason I said "built in"
is because if you already have a play world, that means you had to do a
lot of social coordination on the "fringes" of the play world in order
to establish it... I did not mean anything more than that.
Now, I am not aware that this comes directly from Vygotsky. The
awareness of the need to create, what I call an "inner group" -- comes
more from my own work, probably, than from anything I read.
Ana