Re: [xmca] chat analysis of ritual

From: Carrie Lobman (lobman@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2006 - 18:13:44 PST

As AERA approaches I wanted to add another
potential contribution to the examples of
projects where teachers have created zones of
proximal development in traditional educational
settings. I am chairing a panel (through Division
K) of three NYC teachers who have created very
different, but very successful ZPD's that have
all been influenced by the work of the East Side
Institute for Group and Social Therapy (directed
by Lois Holzman). I am thrilled to be bringing
these talented practitioners to AERA to talk
about their practice and their development as
methodologists. See below for the abstract and logistical info.

Carrie

Improvising with(in) the System: An Interactive
Dialogue with Four Inner-City Teachers

Scheduled Time: Sat, Apr 8 - 4:05pm -
6:05pm Building/Room: Moscone Center South / Mezzanine Level West, Room 256

In a cultural climate where education is narrowly
focused on the acquisition of knowledge and
skills, an important question for many educators
is if it possible for teachers to maintain a
focus on the development of their students as
creative, inquiring social learners, and still
function within the confines of traditional
school settings? This interactive symposium will
provide an in depth exploration of four teachers
who use an improvisational, Vygotskian influenced
approach in their classrooms. The approach shifts
the focus from the products of learning to the
dialectical relationship between what is to be
learned and the creating of the environment for
learning. This interactive symposium will
represent an ongoing collaboration between a
university-based researcher and four classroom teachers.