[xmca] New book, old wine

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Wed Feb 15 2006 - 06:29:52 PST

Dear All,

Lulls in discussion and our current ebb and flow of announcements to
each other afford me the quick chance to share this announcement
again. It's a great book, a must read. And maybe just one of these
days, Jay (the introducer) may re-appear here. As I read his "Talking
Science" again right now with some very particular classroom
observations (and questions) in mind, I think of what might be
possible right now..

Go figure online communities of practice...

Phil

Multimodal Transcription and Text Analysis
Anthony Baldry and Paul J. Thibault

Series: Equinox Textbooks and Surveys in Linguistics, edited by
Professor Robin Fawcett, Cardiff University

Key Features:
· First textbook on meaning to bring together the analysis of
film, website and printed texts and the first to constitute a course
in the analysis and transcription of multimodal texts.

‘Multimodal Transcription and Text Analysis is an indispensable
resource for the analysis and interpretation of multimodal texts as
they unfold through time; the book develops a rich array of
practical, theoretically principled and computationally enabled tools
for deconstructing the interaction of verbiage, image and sound
across registers including work on cartoons, web pages, textbooks and
film. This is the single most important contribution to multimodal
discourse analysis since O’Toole’s The Language of Displayed Art
and Kress & van Leeuwen's Reading Images created the field.’
James R. Martin, Professor of Linguistics, Department of Linguistics,
University of Sydney

‘After reading Multimodal Transcription and Text Analysis you will
never look at texts monomodally, i.e. simply as texts, any longer.
This book offers an excellent and comprehensive view and
understanding of the ways our communication has changed in the age of
Internet and other media and offers an extensive toolbox for
analysing these integrated meanings in printed pages, web pages and
films. The book encourages students and researchers as regards
interdisciplinarity which is of vital importance when attempting to
understand the complex communicative procedures used in today’s
technological world. ‘
Eija Ventola, Professor of English Philology, University of Helsinki

Multimodal Transcription and Text Analysis is a book that many of us
have been looking for: a readable “how to” manual for analyzing
images, websites, video and film, cartoons, magazine layouts,
advertisements, textbooks, television programs, and computer games.
Paul Thibault and Anthony Baldry strike just the right balance
between rich examples and accessible explanations of the concepts
that lie behind their practical methods. This book is, however, far
more than a “how to” manual: it is a comprehensive introduction to
the field of multimedia analysis.
 From the Foreword by Professor Jay Lemke, University of Michigan

What are multimodal texts? How can we transcribe and analyse them?
How can multimedia and internet help us in multimodal discourse
analysis? What postproduction and authoring skills are needed to
analyse a multimodal text or to develop a corpus of multimodal texts?
How does integrating multimedia meaning-making resources into
hypertext multiply our meaning-making potential? How does the study
of language relate to multimodality and multimedia, in particular in
the e-learning age? How, and to what extent, will multimodal
discourse analysis re-shape linguistics?
In its attempt to provide answers to the questions raised above, and
many others, this book proposes concrete solutions to the problems of
multimodal text analysis and transcription of printed texts, websites
and film. As such, it constitutes a much needed course in multimodal
text transcription and analysis. It also suggests ways in which
multimodal discourse analysis can help both educators and students
understand how meaning is made in the e-learning environments that
now play such an important role in our lives. In both these respects,
readers are encouraged to use the book in conjunction with an
associated and freely accessible website which provides many
illustrations and exercises that further contextualise and exemplify
the insights and descriptions provided by the book. As befits a
coursebook, the individual chapters of the book are carefully
organised in such a way as to provide a step-by-step progression in
theoretical and descriptive complexity.

Anthony Baldry is Associate Professor in English Linguistics, Faculty
of Medicine and Surgery, University of Pavia. He recently edited a
book of essays: Multimodality and Multimediality in the Distance
Learning Age (2000).
Paul J. Thibault is Professor of Linguistics and Media Communication,
Agder University College, Kristiansand, Norway. He is the author of a
number of books including Rereading Saussure: The Dynamics of Signs
in Social Life (1997), Agency and Consciousness in Discourse: Self-
Other Dynamics as a Complex System (2004) and Brain, Mind and the
Signifying Body: An Ecosocial Semiotic Theory (2004).

Table of contents:
Foreword by Jay Lemke
Introduction
Chapter 1: Multimodal texts and genres