Re: [xmca] online tools and analysis

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 23 2006 - 16:44:52 PST

Hi Donna--

I did not see this before responding to Don who appeared to be responding to
me. But your note is certainly relevant.
People like Giddens and many others point out that constraints are double
sided-- both constraining and enabling. Peg
warned us that we need the term effectivities which, if I understand
correctly, are affordances as incorporated in action
(but I probably do not understand correctly-- I am cc'ing Jerrry Balzano who
knows much more about Gibsonian thinking
than I do). Don warned us about over/mis-using the term, affordances. This
is a gigantic ball of wax.

And while we are at it, I worry about your use of the term, technologies, in
the first sentence of the para below. I know that you
are referring to technologies that involve online learning environments as
now conventionally understood, but from my perspective
technologies (in general) have not become "more and more a part of human
interactions." Their material forms (and dare I say,
affordances) may have changed from the days before the advent of writing,
but language certainly counts as a technology for me,
never mind a pencil. I am guessing you agree and are using a shorthand, but
Don is pointing us toward problems in our use of
terms and I think the issue is worth taking seriously. I feel on fuzzy, if
not muddy, ground here.
mike