Re: [xmca] Artifacts, Tools, Classroom and AERA

From: Wolff-Michael Roth (mroth@uvic.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 17:41:52 PST

Bill,
great list of names but is not easy to discuss. Dorothy Smith, for
example, shows how Durkheim bought causality by evacuating the
subject and how he objectified thinking and feeling; he transfers
agency to social phenomena. Causal thinking in social science always
leads you to deterministic models, and I am sure you do not feel
being determined in what you do by outside or inside forces. You can
always do otherwise, this is what is so nice about being human.

The nice thing about Lucy Suchman's work, the gap between plans and
situated actions shows that even our intentions (plans) are not
causally linked to our actions; and Jean Lave writes about the
dialectic of arithmetic precisely because of the dialectical relation
between the two planes at which Leont'ev describes the object to
consist on.

Agency is a problematic concept unless it is dialectically paired
with passivity, because experience, pain, is not something you intend
but passively receive. . . even though you might intend to have an
experience you need to open yourself because you cannot anticipate,
especially when you are learner, to what will touch you, impress upon
you, etc.

So no, causation is not a good concept, because if it was like this,
then you can evacuate the idea of free will. Perhaps you mean mediation.

Are you sure about Bateson? Bateson (1980, p. 106): "Of course,
difference, which is usually a ration between similars, has no
dimensions. It is QUALITATIVE not QUANTITATIVE.
        He writes in "Every schoolboy knows", "Quantity does not determine
pattern
        He writes, "Interaction between parts of mind is triggered by
difference
        "There is a strong tendency in explanatory prose to invoke
quantities of tension, energy and whatnot to explain the genesis of
pattern. I believe that all such explanations are inappropriate or
wrong" (p.55)

I think we should discuss ideas not names; I think we should discuss
ideas even of the great ones as possibly being outdated and wrong in
the present day context. We are scholars not defenders of canons,
whoever wrote it.

:-)

Cheers,
Michael