Re: [xmca] Artifacts, Tools, Classroom and AERA

From: Wolff-Michael Roth (mroth@uvic.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 16:24:34 PST

Bill,
Even in social science you got to get your relations right.
Categories are inherently different. They can therefore not be used
to establish a causal relation, which is framed generally in a form:

E = kC

where the equal sign already intimates that E and C are commensurable.

or perhaps more generally, causation is expressed from a
philosophical perspective as

∀x(Fx →Gx)

where events of type F are followed by events of type G.

Otherwise we get ourselves into a quagmire. It makes no sense to
establish a causation between a teacher saying something and student
killing her (like Columbine).

Michael