Re: [xmca] Expose 'radical' UCLA teacher, get $100

From: Tony Whitson (twhitson@UDel.Edu)
Date: Thu Jan 19 2006 - 19:14:57 PST

I suppose now all the Supreme Court Justice wannabees at UCLA will be
scurrying to join this group so they can boast about it on their resumes
when they apply for jobs in the next Republican administration (like
Alito did with the Princeton group).

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, David Daniel Preiss Contreras wrote:

> I guess you might have seen this. Just in case... No worth of any additional
> comment.
> David
> Expose 'radical' UCLA teacher, get $100
> Friday, January 20, 2006 Posted: 0156 GMT (0956 HKT)
> RELATED
> • Lawmakers look at campus bias
> LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- A conservative alumni group dedicated to
> "exposing the most radical professors" at the University of California at Los
> Angeles is offering to pay students $100 to record classroom lectures of
> suspect faculty.
> The Web site of the Bruin Alumni Association also includes a "Dirty Thirty"
> list of professors considered by the group to be the most extreme left-wing
> members of the UCLA faculty, as well as profiles on their political
> activities and writings.
> UCLA Chancellor Albert Carnesale on Thursday denounced the campaign as
> "reprehensible," and school officials warned that selling or distributing
> recordings of classroom lectures without an instructor's consent violates
> university policy.
> News of the campaign prompted former Republican congressman James Rogan, who
> helped lead impeachment proceedings against former President Bill Clinton in
> the U.S. House of Representatives, to resign from the group's advisory board.
> "I am uncomfortable to say the least with this tactic," Rogan, now a lawyer
> in private practice in California, said in an e-mail resignation made public
> by the Los Angeles Times. "It places students in jeopardy of violating myriad
> regulations and laws."
> At least two other members of the group's advisory board, which consists of
> more than 20 individuals, also have quit over the group's efforts to have
> students record their professors.
> The group, which is not affiliated with UCLA or its official alumni
> association, is the creation of Andrew Jones, a 2003 UCLA graduate who said
> he runs the organization mostly on his own with $22,000 in private donations.
> Jones told Reuters that he is out to "restore an atmosphere of respectful
> political discourse on campus" and says his efforts are aimed at academics
> who proselytize students from either side of the ideological spectrum,
> conservative or liberal.
> "We are concerned solely with indoctrination, one-sided presentation of
> ideological controversies and unprofessional classroom behavior," Jones said
> on his Web site.
> Jones' site describes his campaign as "dedicated to exposing UCLA's most
> radical professors" and his list of the university's "worst of the worst"
> singles out only professors he says hold left-wing views.
> Jones said he would accept recordings only from students whose professors
> consented in writing to have their lectures taped. And students would be paid
> $100 only if they furnished complete recordings of every class session, as
> [...]

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716

twhitson@udel.edu