RE: [xmca] Subjectivity of participants in Community OrganizationalCultures

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 21:33:51 PST

   I am just finishing reading "Struggles for subjectivity: Identity, Action
   and Youth experience," by Kevin McDonald, which is funnily enough written by
   a colleague at Melbourne Uni.. It is an excellent read; concerned with
   marginalised youth rather than the mainstream, it uses the problems of these
   young people to "test" several theories of subjectivity. The writer draws on
   a lot of French writers, particularly a current calling itself "the
   sociology of experience". Alaine Touraine gets quoted a lot and he is
   definitely next on my reading list. It looks very interesting indeed. I
   wonder if anyone on this list is familiar with Touraine? He uses a method of
   "sociological intervention" which implies a similar critique of
   "observation" as the Vygotsky School. Touraine's research was carried out on
   social movements.
   Andy