Re: [xmca] Subjectivity of participants in Community Organizational Cultures

From: Lois Holzman (lholzman@eastsideinstitute.org)
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 13:35:48 PST

Hi Mike,
Even though the student cold mean a million different things by the
subjectivity of participants in a community organization, I'll risk giving a
suggestion ‹‹ namely, the participatory evaluation literature, especially
but not only the youth participatory evaluation (known as YPE) literature.

Here are some places s/he can start:

Youth Participatory Evaluation: A Field in the Making
Edited by Kim Sabo
A special issue of New Directions for Evaluation
v.98, Summer 2003.
Jossey-Bass Publishers

Abstract:
Youth participatory evaluation (YPE) combines action research and
participatory evaluation's commitment to stakeholder empowerment with the
new philosophy of positive youth development, which emphasizes young people
as community assets and resources rather than as a source of social
problems. This volume illustrates a broad range of approaches YPE advocates
have used to enrich evaluation practice and strength programs for youth by
involving young people as researchers and evaluators. Kim Sabo begins by
arguing that youth-led evaluation by its very nature promotes youth
development, because these evaluations constitute Vygotskian zones of
proximal development, situations where developmental learning through
performance can take place. Les Voakes uses a case study of a conference
organized by Town Youth Participation Strategies to illustrate how involving
youth in the planning, operational decision-making, and evaluation of
programs that directly affect them can benefit both the young participants
and the programs themselves. Jonathan K. London, Kristen Zimmerman and Nancy
Erbstein provide case studies of evaluation methods that link community and
youth development practices. Genevieve Lau, Nancy H. Netherland and Mary
Haywood show how YPE can be used as a training process for youth workers,
one that enables them to better understand the needs and desires of youth
and therefore design better programs for them. Roger A. Hart and Jasmine
Rajbhandary examine Nepal's "children's clubs", and Save the Children's
YPE-inspired evaluation of these clubs, to show how children can be
encouraged to develop their own programs and largely evaluate them by
themselves. Bonny L. Gildin describes the All Stars Talent Show Network, an
innovative program that unites youth, program funders and adult volunteers
in program development and evaluation. Finally, David Fetterman sums up and
reflects on the lessons learned by the contributors to this volume.

The Harvard Family Research Project website http://www.gse.harvard.edu/hfrp/
is another source. They publish online something called the Evaluation
Exchnage and some issues are likely to have similar reports of participatns'
experience of organizations. The page is
http://www.gse.harvard.edu/hfrp/eval.html

A beginning...perhaps.

Lois