Re: [xmca] Activity Systems, Time, and a shared semantics

From: Martin Packer (packer@duq.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 18:04:50 PDT

Michael's reminder that Marx was concerned with consciousness resonates with
me. I'd drafted this yesterday with doubts, but now Michael's message
encourages me to send it!

I appreciate the link Steve provided, and his suggestion that a larger
triangle - state, class, property - could help me think about the kind of
activity in my shoemaker example. I don't have a better suggestion, but
something still seems missing to me.

I am trying to figure out what it means to have a psychology that uses the
method Marx used in Capital. Part of the difficulty is that different people
have seen different methods at work there. My sense is that he began with a
seemingly simple entity, the commodity, and traced it through the intricate
cycles of production and exchange, to show that it isn't simple at all, but
is divided (it has both value for use and value for exchange) and is
constituted by all its linkages to the whole system of which it moves.
Mediation? The activity of productive labor emerges from hiding as the
analysis progresses.

The triangle shows internal linkages in a whole, certainly. It can be
expanded to show more of these linkages. But a capitalist economy has the
added wrinkle that people systematically misunderstand their own activity.
Subjectivity becomes important for Marx's analysis: his 'objective' analysis
of society included attention to the subjectivity of its members, and it is
here, perhaps, that a psychology starts to appear. There's a motivated
covering up of the moral basis of capitalist economies. That perhaps is why
it's so hard to remember the poverty, misery and powerlessness that Katrina
exposed.

I guess what I can't find in the triangle is the place where the subject,
the person, changes. Where reflexion raises consciousness. That seems
ironic; clearly I'm missing something. Vygotsky's original triangle (
http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/pages/chatanddwr/chat/) was between
stimulus and response, with the mediation being something *internal* to the
organism. Thinking was, first of all, an interruption in the reflex arc, a
reorganization of the subject. Vygotsky and Luria looked at behavior, I
think, in order to study consciousness. Or perhaps mind is the better word,
since they were interested in both consciousness and unconsciousness. To
redraw the triangle as between subject and object places the mediation
outside. I'm quite comfortable with the notion that learning is a practical
and distributed process but, as a psychologist, I also want to understand
the transformations of psyche in this. (And here, of course, time - or
rather history - is crucial.)

I don't mean to sound merely critical, and I don't have a better alternative
to triangles; I'm just thrashing around trying to understand what it is I'm
trying to understand. Each of us is a nodal point of linkages that stretch
fibrously through time and space, history and geography. That sounds a bit
postmodern, but Marx seems to bring us there.

Martin