Re: [xmca] ISCAR - Sevilla 2005 -- Theoretical Concepts in CHAT andtheir connestion to physical concepts and knowledge

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 09:32:54 PDT

David,
I just searched the Conference abstracts for the "Freud" and found three
references -- one of which is "Freudenthal" -- a last name of a
presenter. The two other references that actually refer to "freudian"
are given in the two abstracts I posted below. It is interesting that
there is no more references to the psychoanalysis especially in the
light of 200 references found for "emotion" and more than 600 references
(give or take) found for "Self"
Ana

Session 86 September 20, 2005 Tuesday
Chair: Adrian Blackledge, University of Birmingham
Edgbaston, United Kingdom
OS. 9. Language as social practice: Expanding the analysis of discourse
in complex
Abstract:
*Rethinking the metaphysics of activity as system or structure*
Nick Peim, University of Birmingham
Edgbaston, United Kingdom
This paper is founded in a wilful act of bricolage that involves
bringing together two different
traditions of thought. Here activity theory meets Derrida's
sign-oriented critique of metaphysics
Here Derrida is taken as metonymic of another tradition founded in the
critique of the metaphysics
of presence. This tradition grows out of - and against - the
phenomenological tradition that
addresses what appear to be key elements in activity theory: objects,
aspects, perspectives,
positions, ideas and subjects. Here the metaphysical assumptions of
activity theory are explored and
expanded. Implicitly caught up in this complex are concepts of genesis,
being, identity, practice and
transformation. Above all, perhaps, is the question of a materialist
thinking of social practice. All of
this is inescapably caught up in the question of discourse: as activity,
as identity, as difference ... as,
in effect, deontologizing ontology.
Both activity theory and Derrida's critique of metaphysics engage with
(in utterly different ways)
the distinction between the intelligible and the sensible. A point of
genesis for activity theory,
Marx's 'Theses on Feuerbach', announcing a call to philosophy to grasp
sensuous human activity
('the real thing') at the very same time enacts the classic distinction
between the sensible and the
intelligible. This is the very distinction that Derrida problematizes in
relation to the founding of a
decentring ethnology that enables metaphysics (while remaining
metaphysics) to address critically
the terms and conditions of its own operations of thought - a move that
is paralleled in the
decentring of the sign as signifier and signified (i.e. sensible /
intelligible) and the refusal to resolve
the difference in relation to any kind of centre or point of origin.
Derrida claims that thinking the structurality of structure is in itself
decentring - problematizing the
very idea of centre and thereby activating the mobility of play. This
thinking Derrida provisionally
attributes to: i. the Nietzschean critique of metaphysics, the critique
of concepts of being and truth;
ii. the _*Freudian *_critique of self presence, that is the critique of
consciousness; and, 'more radically'
iii. the Heideggerian destruction of metaphysics, of onto-theology, of
the determination of being as
presence. The problem, however, is represented by Derrida as a circular
relation between the history
of metaphysics and the destruction of the history of metaphysics: 'We
have no language - no syntax
and no lexicon - which is foreign to this history'.
The question for activity theory is what is the role - in the
determination of activity as system - of
the sign. The sign is frequently taken as the mediating element and yet
this very idea of mediation
presumes a more or less strict distinction between the sensible and
intelligible - signifier and
signified. What's more the sign - subject to the logic of the
supplement, the trace and dissemination
- also activates the decentring element of play. The issue of discourse
in the description of activity
provides an occasion for rethinking activity from the perspective of the
radical legacy of the
phenomenological tradition.

and

Poster session on Thursday, September 22
Abstract:
*Children of the Moon: The representation of family in institutionalized
children excluded
from the familiar life*
Sheila Daniela Medeiros dos Santos, Brazil

Currently in the Brazilian society, increasingly high rates of children
living without their families are
observed: every two days a baby is abandoned in the State of São Paulo;
in Brazil a million children
are living in boarding schools and eight million of them are abandoned,
living on the streets. At a
first moment, with the intention to focus on protagonists of this
situation (orphans, abandoned
children and/or those proceeding from unstructured homes) and
apprehending the trams that were
constructed in their daily lives in an institution assigned to receive
them, it was seen, early in the
observations, something paradoxical happening: children who did not live
familiar relations, but
lived in an environment that were the negation and/or the artificial
substitution of the family,
thinking about, dreaming of, desiring and representing a structured and
formally constituted family.
In this context, having as theoretical reference the historic-cultural
perspective in Psychology, this
research aimed at analyzing the representation of family in
institutionalized children excluded from
the familiar conviviality, intending to deepen the study on: the way
these children represented the
family in the verbal/written speech, the drawings and the tricks
(symbolic game); the ways of
functioning of this familiar representation; and the impact of this
representation in the social
relations that arose between adult/children and children/children in the
institution. Considering that
the symbolic order tends to impose its rules to the imaginary, although
it does not achieve the
neutralization of its power to generate meanings, we proceeded to the
analysis of dialogical
situations and social interactions. Through the analysis, we could show
how the children expressed,
through the most impressive forms, the desire they had to occupy the
position of son or daughter
inside of the structure of the social relationships and to assume the
roles associated to such
positions (for example, hugging and excessively kissing and "grasping"
the people that visited them
at the institution). In this way, exceeding the *freudian*
psychoanalysis and remembering the lesson of
animal psychology: a little monkey, when frightened by a great wooden
spider, runs for the doll
covered with a velvet-like fabric, and not to the wire doll with a
baby's bottle. The analysis of the
empirical material placed in evidence the necessity of bond between the
son and the mother, neither
as the result of a nutritional and sexual satisfaction at the same time,
nor as the consequence of a
dependence of the baby in relation the mother, but as basic biological
necessity, as important as
feeding itself. The child, upon birth, carries a genetic mark, the
necessity of contact with beings of
the same species. Therefore, taking into account that the social nature
of man is a biological fact
and that man is genetically a "being of relation", if the constituent
experience of the social
relationships fails, or better, if the family (symbolic production) is
not supported on that it is
elementary (the bond), then the family becomes a myth.

Ana Marjanovic-Shane

151 W. Tulpehocken St.

Philadelphia, PA 19144

Home office: (215) 843-2909