Re: [xmca] ISCAR, XMCA, and your burning issues

From: Fernanda Liberali (liberali@uol.com.br)
Date: Sat Sep 10 2005 - 05:44:32 PDT

Mike and Colleagues,

I've been an observer for some time in this list and have found it very
illuminating for me and my students here in Brazil. As an applied linguist
interested in teacher education, I am very willing to understand the
relationship between language and activity. So the discussions that took
place in the last months were really intriguing for me. However, I did not
feel confident to participate. But, since I will have a chance to meet some
of you in the conference (I hope), I would like to pose some of the
questions I would like to discuss in the congress.

First, I am interested in the monist view of the activity as a unit of
analysis. The discussion of Davidov's (1990) concern with this topic from a
Marxist point of view connected to Spinoza's understanding of the
indivisible nature of body and mind and the totality which he connects to
the substance (God) could be an interesting topic for discussion. Second,
the understanding of language, mainly in argumentative situations, as a tool
for the construction of better forms of participation and inclusion in
diverse social formations is a topic that particularly interests me. My
research group develops intervention research in the very poor districts of
São Paulo, working with teacher and teacher educatiors in order to devise
instruments to develop better conditions of school education with very
limited resources. In these contexts, learning how to critically read and
express opinions is a major concern not of in relation to the students but
also to the teachers. So, understanding how language can be used and
constructed in activities for teacher education is of great interest for me.

I hope we can have a chance to discuss these topics and I am sure I will
learn a lot in this conference just as I have been learning a lot from this
group.

Thank you all for this chance.

Fernanda Liberali