RE: [xmca] Method/Methodology

From: Alexander Surmava (monada@netvox.ru)
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 14:39:15 PDT

Hi Victor,

I appreciate your arguments but I can hardly agree with you. No doubt that
Spinoza lived much earlier then Kant and Hegel and his ideas on the first
sight lie far from classical German philosophy. But “on the second sight”
everything is substantially more complicated.
Ilyenkov considered himself a spinozist and argued for spinozism with all
possible passion. Many times he recurred to the idea that the basic
Spinoza’s ideas were profoundly dialectical. I fully agree with him in that
issue and can argue for it myself, but now let’s read the fragment from
“Dialectical logic”
Spinoza understood thought much more profoundly and, in essence,
dialectically, which is why his figure presents special interest in the
history of dialectics; he was probably the only one of the great thinkers of
the pre-Marxian era who knew how to unite brilliant models of acutely
dialectical thought with a consistently held materialist principle
(rigorously applied throughout his system) of understanding thought and its
relations to the external world lying in the space outside the human head.
The influence of Spinoza’s ideas on the subsequent development of
dialectical thought can hardly be exaggerated. ‘It is therefore worthy of
note that thought must begin by placing itself at the standpoint of
Spinozism; to be a follower of Spinoza is the essential commencement of all
Philosophy.’ [Lectures on the History of Philosophy, Hegel]
http://www.marxists.org/archive/ilyenkov/works/essays/essay2.htm
I can add here the reminiscence of Georgi Plekhanov who put the question
about Spinoza before Fredrick Engels and received a single meaning answer
that Marxism is a form of Spinozism.
It’s necessary to repeat: Ilyenkov being an expert in Spinozian philosophy
better then anybody new the weak and undeveloped sides of Spinoza’s system,
but he was sure that the greatest historical scale of the Spinoza’s figure
in our culture prevails over all his metaphysical faults.
This issue is extremely urgent especially in psychological context. Recently
one of my colleges reproached me similarly in arrogating spinozism to Lev
Vygotsky whereas he was a Marxist instead of spinozist. I can’t agree with
him too. Vygotsky was passionate follower of Spinoza and spinozism of Lev
Vygotsky didn’t contradict to his Marxism.
Important detail: both thinkers EVI and LSV have come to Spinoza’s ideas and
basing on them have come to substantially similar theoretic conclusions.
Both of them hold Spinoza’s portrait on their desk. Both of them leaved us
unfinished texts consecrated to Spinoza and entitled by his name.
Surely we can estimate the Spinoza’s ideas as abstract with respect to
Marxist ideas, but this is a special sort of abstractness, abstractness
which contains in it all richness of developed whole.

I‘ll be happy to continue this discussion and I’m going to develop mentioned
above ideas in my second report in Sevilla at Veresov symposia.

Cheers,
Sasha