RE: [xmca] Method/Methodology

From: Alexander Surmava (monada@netvox.ru)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 04:09:52 PDT

Hi all,

IMHO the problem of meaning of so called “methodology” is a little bit more
complicated than it can be estimated from the first sight. First of all this
term is rather new. It was brought into fashion in the beginning of the last
century. Neither Hegel nor Marx had ever used it. Certainly Ilyenkov knew
this term but never used it either.
In the strict sense this term derives to those philosophical schools which
suppose the thinking and the objective reality as something initially
distinct and independent of each other.
On the contrary according the Spinozian point of view there is no
methodology without theory. In other words a method can be comprehended only
as a reflection of theory, of “idea”. One can not discuss method in
abstracto. (For example a soviet philosopher G.P.Schedrovitsky pretended to
invent a universal abstract methodology applicable in any sphere.)
We can read at Spinoza’s “On the Improvement of the Understanding”
http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl302/texts/spinoza/Improvement.html
“…method is nothing else than reflective knowledge, or the idea of an idea;
and that as there can be no idea of an idea --- unless an idea exists
previously, --- there can be no method without a pre-existent idea.”
That is why Ilyenkov - a consistent spinozist - never used term
“methodology” as well as “epistemology”. From his POV the only possible
“methodology”, “epistemology” or “the theory of knowledge” is dialectic. But
real, genuine dialectic is impossible in abstraction from real, concrete
theoretical or practical process.
We can find a fragment in Ilyenkov’s “Dialectical logic” “...Marx, Engels,
and Lenin established that it was dialectics, and only dialectics, that was
the real logic in accordance with which modern thought made progress. It was
it, too, that operated at the ‘growing points’ of modern science, although
the representatives of science were not wholly conscious of the fact. That
was why logic as a science coincided (merged) not only with dialectics but
also with the theory of knowledge of materialism. ‘In Capital Marx applied
to a single science logic, dialectics, and the theory of knowledge of
materialism (three words are not needed; it is one and the same thing),’ is
how Lenin categorically formulated it.”
http://www.marxists.org/archive/ilyenkov/works/essays/essay9.htm
As for Vygotsky who used this term the situation is much more complex.
Indeed we can find the terms “methodology” as well as “dialectic” in
Vygotsky’s theoretical luggage. But the division of his theoretic heritage
into theoretic and methodologic halves is extremely unproductive. He has
advanced in theory as far as in methodology, and vice versa.

Cheers,
 Sasha

Alexander V. Surmava, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
The Russian State University for the Humanities
The Vygotsky Institute of Psychology
Liapidevskogo str. 8-2-274
125581 Moscow, Russia
tel./fax: 7 (095) 455-88-24