Re: [xmca] Re: LCA: Activity Theory

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 13:08:46 PDT

Michael,
I am very interested in your article. Please make it available.
Also, I am very interested in your remarks that "person" and ""object" are not quite separable and opposable -- that part of the "object" -- the vision part is in the "person" and part of the person is "in" object.
I need to know more about it. It seems to me that once again, we have different concepts of "person", "subject" and "object". The reason for this might be that we apply these words differentially in different contexts, and that they really do refer to different but very close connected concepts. And when you describe the relationships between the "subject" and the "object" -- out of a precise context -- it becomes unclear what are the other parts of this equation. For instance: if you say that "the object is both material and vision" and that therefore a "part of the object is in the person" -- then the questions might be:
Everyone can have a different "vision" part of the object -- so we must then talk of a plurality of "objects", true? Or , is a "vision" part of the object -- social more then personal? or at least a bit more social ? How do we ever know what another person is actually understanding or seeing? etc.. But I do want to read your article first, and then ask questions. -- and this is taking us away from the LCA discussion, so maybe it should be tabled for a second part of the summer?
Ana