Re: Gordon Wells on Halliday

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 18:01:40 PDT

Ruqaiya and all,
Your last paragraph, reminded me of an article I read recently by Temple
Grandin "Thinking the Way Animals Do", and another article about Temple
Grandin who has a mild condition of autism but who also wrote a book
about Animal Thinking, linking it in a way to some features of autism.
The reason I got interested in what Temple Grandin says is because she
describes autistic thinking as thinking without words in associations of
detailed images. In addition, she describes perception of a person with
autism (and animals) as very detailed and "unfiltered". She talks about
an ""interpreter" in the normal human brain that filters our detail,
leaving people blind to much of the reality that surrounds them - a
reality animals and autistic people see, sometimes all too clearly"
(from the book cover).
I thought that autism may be, indeed, an area of research which could
shine some light onto the "un-semioticised" thinking -- or thinking that
is not, or not fully, or not always mediated by language. There are very
insightful ideas in Temple Grandin;s description of her own and Animal
thinking -- that is very detailed, very "rooted" into pictorial or other
kind of sensory experience. Certainly the articles about Temple Grandin
and some of those I read by her are thought provoking.

Here are some links:

http://www.templegrandin.org/
http://www.grandin.com/references/thinking.animals.html
http://www.leerburg.com/963.htm