Re: LCA: Toward another LCA

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 07:26:48 PDT

Dear Ana,

Hi again, and I appreciate several things about your post, including
the "mineral water" episode - I wonder if you could clarify the
following, where you introduce the concept of "interpretables"? I'm
just unsure, perhaps a little like Peter S, of looking at "chunks" of
linguistic behaviour without considering the non-linguistic signs.
Also, Jovan's activity, as you say, is a meaning-making process - I
wonder how his activity with the cushions on the floor might be
analysed with a focus on motive? He was certainly goal-oriented, and
carrying out a process that had social meaning for him and *his*
interlocutors, but I wonder whether he was "asking for permission to
play" with the cushions, or attempting to "pass on some knowledge he
has about planes" to you and Grandmother?

Just a thought or two.

Phil