Re: sign/tools in interacting levls and forms of operation

From: Steven Thorne (sthorne@psu.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 20:23:20 PDT

>>but perhaps i don't understand what you mean (or maybe we
>>disagree?). habituation to an artifact, whether as an extension of
>>the body (Bateson's cane for example) or otherwise, mediates
>>consciousness whether it is at the level of operation in a smoothly
>>functioning process-ontology or migrates up to an action should a
>>challenge present itself.
>
>This is exactly where you are not taking into account Heidegger's
>analysis (Being and Time, pp. 76-83) of the sign, or Derrida's
>analysis of language. You are also not consistent with Buber's
>distinction between I-You and I-It, both of which involve language,
>but of different kind.

you've misread me. for clarification, the point above had to do with
my (possible mis-) interpretation of your earlier (to me unclear)
statement about mediation.

BREAK: Ana's note just came in. Michael -- as you feel so strongly
about what i (and possibly others) have not taken account of/been
consistent with, why don't we move at least one strand of the
conversation in the direction Ana suggests -- that you illustrate
some concrete examples using Buber in particular. what do you think?

steve

--
Steven L. Thorne
Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics