Re: LSV-& Dialogical Self

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 12:00:58 PST

Jim-- I am reading backward through the mail and perhaps
I am missing a step. When you write :

 I, personally, lean towards Nate's understanding- that we cannot
separate the situation/context/activity setting from the person
although some might want to in order to understand the circumstances
in which we exist " you are characterizing not only Nates position,
but that of many people. Tony was saying something like this in his
discussion of Derrida and the problems of separating
"text" from "con-text." Barbara Rogoff explicitly takes this position
in her writing. Valsiner argues for a slightly different position
using some sort of phrase as "separate inclusiveness" (that is
certainly not the exact phrasing, but my "sense" of it). Etc.

I have discussions of the context/activity/situation/event
interrelations in the writings of various theorists in Cultural
Psychology and more extensively, in an volume edited by Goodnow et al
on cultural practices (ref not to hand).

I am not particularly knowledgeable about the discourses about
identity-- others on this list are certainly more so. But it is not
uncommon to link identity and text, often through
narrative, in which case, the Whitson/Derrida position seems a
possible way to think about it.

Peter mentioned Valsiner's Guided Mind. Perhaps you could start there.
There is a Rogoff -Valsiner exchange on these issues in Human
Development a few years back.
mike