Re: LSV-& Dialogical Self -- context

From: Tony Whitson (twhitson@UDel.Edu)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 08:10:30 PST

Mike, There is sometimes a perplexing resistance to recognizing the kind
of question you are raising.

For example, when Derrida says "Il n'y a pas d'hors-texte",
there are many who perversely repudiate him as saying that there is no
reality outside of verbal texts. In fact he has insisted that it would be
better to translate his claim as "there is no 'con-text'" (rather than
"there is no reality outside of texts"). As you are asking, Derrida is
contending that the reality we're dealing with is an
interwoven textile/textuality such that an analytical separation between
an "inside" and "outside" rends apart the structured interweaving that we
need to see if we want to understand what we are looking at.

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Mike Cole wrote:

> Odd what sparks discussion here.
>
> I have also been reading Valsiner and will go back to it through this lens.
>
> I found the following statement odd.
> The two [Stern-individualism and Vygosk] are brought together in
> Valsiner's theory, which highlights the sign-constructing and
> sign-using nature of all distinctively human psychological processes.
> Arguing that the individualistic and the cultural traditions differ
> largely in emphasis, Valsiner unites them by focusing on the intricate
> relations between personality and its social context, and their
> interplay in personality development.
>
> If the personality is the highest form of sociality, the unit of
> analysis for understanding the "whole person," what does it mean to
> talk about relationships BETWEEN the personality
> and its social context? Is context outside and personality inside? Really?
>
> mike
>

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:38:27 +0100, George <researcher@safe-mail.net> wrote:
>> Dear Phil,
>>
>> I do not have Engeström's et al. book. Would you happen to have an
>> electronic copy of Davydov's article? or know a link - although I
>> searched an could not find anything?
>>

>> On Feb 13, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Phil Chappell wrote:
>>
>>> Davydov's essay: Davydov, V.V. (1999) The content and unsolved
>>> problems of activity theory, in Engestrom, Y, Miettinen, R and
>>> Punamaki, R-L "Perspectives on Activity Theory" Cambridge University
>>> Press
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> George
>> (Hansjoerg von Brevern)
>>
>> -------------------------------------
>>
>> Research in e-Learning Objects, e-Learning meta data standards,
>> didactical activity, Systemic-Structural Activity Theory, and
>> Socio-cultural Theory

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716

twhitson@udel.edu

"those who fail to reread
  are obliged to read the same story everywhere"
                   -- Roland Barthes, S/Z (1970)