Re: Self-Determination theory versus SCT and AT

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 17:01:08 PST

Jim, George, Lara et al---

I have been too swamped with other obligations and my interest in the
discussion article to participate properly in this thread.

Reading down through your discussion and examples has been very intersting.
For other reasons, today I have been reading Nardi's edited volume on
context and
consciousness and Hutchin's Cognition in the Wild both of which refer
to differnt aspects
of cultural historical activity approahces, especially in relation to
the concept of
distributed cognition ( see also the Pea edit volume with that titrle).

It seems to me that it would be useful to dig into some of the
literature on cultural
psychology and distributed cognition in this discusion as well as the burgeoning
lliterature on design experimentation, which overlap in important
ways. The writings
of Karri Kutti in that literature and others who are specifically
worring about e-learning ought to be helpful.

It appears that many people are too preoccupied with local matters to
interact in this venu at present, bu the issues being raised ought to
be address by al.
mike