the dialogical self on the boundary?

From: I.Haket@ppsw.rug.nl
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 05:41:19 PST

Well,  an interesting article again.

I agree with Bhatia & Ram that cultural identity is an ongoing dynamic process. It ‘s a good thing  they have overcome Berry’s static view. They sketch a fascinating picture of the many contradicting experiences,  incompatible voices that play a part in the life of the hyphenized.

I  have got a problem too. B & R claim, that they conceive of identity formation as socially situated. But I didn’t think the social situatedness of identity formation is really part of their framework. Isn’t the construction of identity a joint process in a situation. For instance: a Indian-American girl constructs her sexual identity more  “American” when dating an American friend than in relation to her parents. Which voices contribute to this process of identity formation? Could it be that B & R construct voices too exclusive in the head of a person? Weren’t there in Bahktin theory always three voices in a situation: the voice of the speaker (with her conflicting voices), the listener and the social- cultural-ethical voice (how are you expected to behave in this situation)?  The result of this three voices together is a unique experience on the boundary.

Ini