CFP Critical Computing, Aarhus, Denmark August 2005.

From: Bruce Robinson (bruce.rob@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 15:29:01 PST

CFP: update - Critical Computing, Aarhus, Denmark August
2=======================================
The Fourth Decennial Aarhus Conference,
Aarhus Denmark, August 21-25, 2005
http://www.aarhus2005.org
=======================================
In cooperation with ACM/SIGCHI

Deadlines: April 15, 2005: full papers, panels, workshops
           June 12, 2005: other categories

We are proud to invite you to participate in the 2005 conference in Aarhus,
entitled

   "Critical Computing - between Sense and Sensibility"

Continuing the tradition from the conferences in 1975, 1985 and 1995, it is
the aim of the fourth Aarhus conference to provide a forum for the
exploration and development of new perspectives for critical computing.

As information technology reaches out from the workplace to virtually all
aspects of human life, the scope of critical IT research expands from a
focus on designing computer support for quality of working life to new
frontiers. These frontiers include the home, leisure time, citizen services,
public spaces as well as the workplace. We face new challenges for
technology support and new pitfalls regarding the ways in which people sense
and form meaningful environments.

Critical Computing is a multi-disciplinary conference in participatory
design, interaction design, CSCW, social computing, digital art and
entertainment addressed from a variety of disciplines like computer science,
sociology, psychology, ethnography, architecture, and aesthetics.

Topics for contributions include, but are not limited to:

* Objectives of critical computing e.g.: Is empowerment still the objective?
How is the balance between tradition and innovation affected in the new
contexts of use?

* Design ideals e.g.: How do we understand and use invisible computers,
ambient intelligence, etc.?

* Context e.g.: How will our environment be affected? Aesthetically?
Ergonomically? Ethically?

* Scope and quality e.g.: How do we define design quality when there is no
work to support? How do we assess relevance, sense and sensibility of
computing artefacts?

* Design processes e.g.: Which new kinds of processes do we initiate to
involve users in design of computing systems and artefacts for homes,
semi-public and fully public spaces? How do we bridge between work and other
aspects of human lives?

* Research method, e.g.: How can IT research adapt issues of sustainability,
both environmental, social and economical?

Submission categories:
* Full papers
* Workshops
* Panels
* Poster/short paper
* Interactive papers/demos
* Doctoral Colloquium

The conference encourages presentations of examples in terms of cases,
systems, applications and conceptual frameworks that contribute to the
understanding of the new issues and design values. In keeping with the
tradition of the Aarhus Conferences, this conference will encourage new
types of presentations, including such that ask for active participation
from the audience.

Conference co-chairs: Susanne Bødker & Kim Halskov Madsen

Program co-chairs: Olav Bertelsen & Morten Kyng

Program committee:
Antonio Rizzo, University of Siena, Italy.
Bo Helgeson, Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden.
Bruce Robinson, University of Salford, UK.
Carla Simone, University of Milano - Bicocca, Italy.
Dan Shapiro, Lancaster University, UK.
Elena Pacenti, Domus Academy, Italy.
Danah Boyd, University of California at Berkeley, USA.
Elisa Giaccardi, University of Colorado, USA.
Ellen Christiansen, Aalborg University, Denmark.
Ericka Johnson, University of Linköping, Sweden.
Erling Havn, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark.
Finn Kensing, IT-University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
Frieder Nake, University of Bremen, Germany.
Gerhard Fisher, University of Colorado, USA.
Giorgio De Michelis, University of Milano - Bicocca, Italy.
Joan Greenbaum, City University of New York, USA.
Jonathan Grudin, Microsoft Research, USA.
Jørgen Bansler, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark.
Karrie Karahalios, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA.
Kerstin Zimmermann, University of Innsbruck, Austria.
Kjeld Schmidt, IT-University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
Liam Bannon, University of Limerick, Ireland.
Lynette Kvasny, Penn State University, USA.
Michael Muller, IBM Research, USA.
Mikko Korpela, University of Kuopio, Finland.
Morten Kyng, University of Aarhus, Denmark.
Olav W. Bertelsen, University of Aarhus, Denmark.
Patrizia Marti, University of Siena, Italy.
Peter Bøgh Andersen, University of Aarhus, Denmark.
Sabine Pfeiffer, München Inst. f. Sozialwissenschaftliche Forschung,
Germany.
Sara Ilstedt Hjelm, The Interactive Institute, Sweden.
Susanne Bødker, University of Aarhus, Denmark.
Tone Bratteteig, University of Oslo, Norway.
Volker Grassmuck, Humboldt University Berlin, Germany.
Volker Wulf, University of Siegen, Germany.
Wendy Mackay, INRIA, France.
Wolfgang Coy, Humbolt Universität Berlin, Germany.
Yngve Sundblad, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden.
Yvonne Rogers, Indiana University, USA.
Yvonne Dittrich, IT-University of Copenhagen, Denmark.

Submission deadline:
Full papers, panels, workshops: April 15, 2005
Other categories: June 12, 2005

For further information and updates: http://www.aarhus2005.org.

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.