elementary-->middle school transitions

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 12 2004 - 17:26:43 PST

Foolks-- While awaiting the conversation starts from the global
dynamic duo, I have a question about a study I cannot retrieve from
my aging long term memory.

Here is the context.

I am interested in the elementary school--middle school transition for
kids of different genders and ethnic backgrounds. I recall a study
which compared social adjustment and school
success for kids who made the transition either early (after 5th) or
late (after 6-7th) grade.

Does anyone know of this work. What makes it interesting and something
to be expanded upon is that the age of transition made a difference
in self esteem, social problems, and maybe academic success as well,
although I am not sure of the latter. From observations
of my local scene where the situation is clearly influenced by gender
and ethnicity, I am interested in re-visiting the original study, but
where is it??

Anyone know?

mike