Re: chat and virtual communities

Hi Mike,

(The message below was initially sent on Nov 2nd, but didn't reach the list as I had sent it from the wrong email address. I hope it's still of some use.)

I'm not sure if you're also interested in chat (communities) from a semiotic perspective, but if you are, then this is a recent publication which includes some articles on the issue:
R. Scollon and P. LeVine (Eds.) 2004 Discourse and Technology: multimodal discourse analysis. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.

Of particular interest in that volume may be:

        Davis, B. and P. Mason. 2004. Trying on Voices: Using Questions to Establish Authority, Identity, and Recipient Design in Electronic Discourse. In      R. Scollon and P. LeVine (Eds.), Discourse and Technology: multimodal discourse analysis. 47-58. Washington, DC: Georgetown University  Press.
        Jones, R.H. 2004. The Problem of Context in Computer-Mediated Communication. In R. Scollon and P. LeVine (Eds.), Discourse and  Technology: multimodal discourse analysis. 20-33. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press

There is also an older book in which I remember reading at least one article on relay chat (by Juliet Mar), but it's not related to using chat in an educational context: D. Gibbs and K.L. Krause (Eds.) 2000. Cyberlines: Languages and Cultures of the Internet. Sydney: James Nicholas Publishers.

I hope I (being a natural-born lurker and new to XMCA and the issues discussed on it) haven't completely misunderstood your request.

Best wishes,
Emilia