Re: education, technology & chat (The Mathematics of it)

Peg, you wrote:

he portlandschools in your e-mil address.  I want
to know more about it.

It's the Portland, Maine, public school system.

So, no, I haven't gotten it central, but I get measurement and modeling of operations in by whatever means necessary. Number words, count lists of
them, the Gelman and Gallistel and following stuff, and the info about
number word structuring in other languages -- it can be a useful
complication for numbers curricula, don't you think?

Of course! There are many ways to go about it. Getting the points you mentioned
added into a traditional introduction of number is a really good start.

The challenge for me has been, though, to keep the measurement-based
approach from being pushed off to the side as a "unit" -- a nice way to do "measurement "
for a couple of weeks and then we move on to another, unrelated topic.
AT-based approaches have such potential for a qualitative change in how concepts are developed in children -- engaging teachers and administrators in a dialogue on this
is a task of a different order of magnitude, I've found.

Peter