Re: an article on the creationist's plea "teach the controversy"

From: Kevin Rocap (krocap@csulb.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 07:34:16 PDT

Dear Michael and Judy,

So then creationism vs. evolution is not a *scientific* controversy, so
does not deserve to be taken up in "science class", but it is a
controversy that has a place somewhere else in the curriculum? Like in
a course on ethics and perspectives on human history/development or in a
course on social issues?

And separately, if not creationism and religion, then, as Judy suggests
we need an ethics of another kind taught in school? But would that
incorporation of ethics into the curriculum also exclude religious
ethics (separation of Church and State and all)?

I've purposely framed these as questions, as I'm not advocating here,
and am curious at what the uptake might be.

In Peace,
K.