RE: an article on the creationist's plea "teach the controversy"

From: Cunningham, Donald J. (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 06:47:51 PDT

Steve, here is another article for your "to read" pile.

http://www.uchicago.edu/research/jnl-crit-inq/issues/v30/30n2.Latour.htm

A representative quote:

In this most depressing of times, these are some of the issues I want to
press not to depress the reader but to press ahead, to redirect our
meager capacities as fast as possible. To prove my point, I have not
exactly facts rather tiny cues, nagging doubts, disturbing telltale
signs. What has become of critique, I wonder, when the New York Times
runs the following story?

Most scientists believe that [global] warming is caused largely by
manmade pollutants that require strict regulation. Mr. Luntz [a lobbyist
for the Republicans] seems to acknowledge as much when he says that "the
scientific debate is closing against us." His advice, however, is to
emphasize that the evidence is not complete. "Should the public come to
believe that the scientific issues are settled," he writes, "their views
about global warming will change accordingly. Therefore, you need to
continue to make the lack of scientific certainty a primary issue."2
<http://www.uchicago.edu/research/jnl-crit-inq/issues/v30/30n2.Latour.ht
ml#2#2>

Evolution is just a theory, after all. Right?

Don Cunningham

Indiana University

  _____