RE: michal roth's intro; four contradictions and children's play

From: White, Phillip (Phillip.White@cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 08:24:13 PDT

Sophie noted "identies" -

and Mike noted

" I have been reading w-m roth's article over again and I believe he
would respond YES to your query of Sophie."

     so now i'm wondering about the emergence of identies, reflecting on Dorothy Holland's work in "Identity and agency in cultural world's" - and certainly Lave and Wenger's work in legitimate peripheral participation, in which identities emerge out of social activities, regardless of whether or not there is conflict. do we need multiple levels of conflict to understand the emergence of identity?

phillip