Re: People and the city

From: bferholt@weber.ucsd.edu
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 11:02:50 PDT

I have also been thinking about people's relations
with physical space, and with the fantasy spaces
which are the flip side of these physical spaces,
this summer -- particularly about space in a
playworlds project we've been working on here at
LCHC, inspired by Pentti Hakkarainen's play pedagogy
at Silmu in Finland. I was most helped in my thinking
about the ways children and adults map, construct,
enter and share/police these playworlds by the
following:

De Certeau, M. (1984). The Practice of Everyday
Life. Berkeley: University of California Press.

Jacobs, J. (1961). The Death and Life of Great
American Cities. New York: Vintage Books.

Chauncey, G. (1996). Privacy Could Only Be Had in
Public: Gay Uses of the Streets.
In Joel Sander's Stud: Architectures of Masculinity.
New York: Princeton Architectural Press.

(Auge, M. (1995). Non-Places: Introduction to an
Anthropology of Supermodernity.
New York: Verso.)

And please do let me know if you read anything
especially useful in this area!

Beth