RE: People and the city

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 20:34:30 PDT

sound like great readings, Iraj.
I was at a thesis defense today where I thought about you. About space,
access, being deaf, and sign language. Many fascinating issues with a
lot of discussion of space "versus" place (it turns out this distinction
does not exist in ASL and is extraordinarily difficult in English, even
for someone writing a thesis on it!). What most fascinated me is that
sign language uses space in a way that spoken languages do not, so the
reverberation from post-modern geography to socio linguistics, inequallity
in "shared" spaces/places, and the spatiality of a particular rhetorical
discourse had my head spinning....... and then, as if by accident, the issue
of spaces comes up on xmca. Amazing.
mike