Re: Learning Paradox

Michael,
This will have to be short since I'm in the middle of writing.

The so-called learning paradox is like many of its ilk (paradoxes) is based
on special assumptions that  restrict the world of the paradox in ways that
make the paradox possible.  The paradoxical nature of paradoxical statements
invariably arises from the contradiction between the constructed world of
the paradox and the world we actually live and work in (sorry about my
Englisch).

The learning paradox is an interesting one, it's a most elegant rendering of
the paradox engendered by philosophical idealism and especially subjective
philosophical idealism of the Kantian kind.  The special assumptions of the
learning paradox is that we only know through thought and that thought is
essentially subjective.  Both Pragmatism - GHM, Dewey, and so on - and
Historical Materialism regard thought as:

1. Social and therefore external to the subject.
2. Only one of many means by which men interact with the world.

These two minor modifications of the concept of man's relation to the world
effectively vaporize the learning paradox.  If learning is:
1. a matter of adopting socially engendered and enabled consciousness and
purposes, and if
2. the realisation of social consciousness and purpose in the world is
effected by the interaction of the individual with  conditions that include
human thought, but only as a part of the totality of the extant sensable
world (universe perhaps?) then
3. the learning paradox evaporates into thin air, leaving behind it the
realization that the peculiarly European intellectualist aberration of
regarding the world solely in terms of thought and of regarding thought as
strictly subjective activity is totally inadequate for the explication of
the educational process.

With highest regards,
Victor