From: Eugene Matusov [mailto:ematusov@udel.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 2:00 PM
To: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
Subject: RE: still posting for Andrew

Dear David--

Can you elaborate on "...how to build 'cultures of tolerance'. From what you
say sounds like impossible", please? I do not understand why and how from
what I said about relational and dialogic nature of such social construction
as "culture", it follows that it is impossible to build 'cultures of
tolerance'.

You wrote,
> How
> cultures capitalize on this ability can make a difference in the way they
> manage cultural disruptions and process them in early socialization and
> schooling.

This is a point of invention of "culture discourse" to see some disruptions
in communication, relations, values, and practice as "cultural." For
example, when a student promises to fulfill an assignment for my class but
does not do that, I, as her instructor, often do not treat this disruption
in our relations as "cultural." However, when I speak with Americans, some
of them move away from me which makes me (and I assume them) uncomfortable
because it communicates me that the person does not like me and what to get
away from me. However, I use a discourse on "culture" to conceptualize this
disruption and mini-breakdown in our relations as "cultural": I came from a
"culture" that promotes closer proximity among interlocutors than a
"culture" from which my American friend came. Thus, although it is true that
in my "culture", moving away from a person signals hostility, I should not
read this intention in my American friend because his move away from me
signals his zone of proximity comfort. What follows from our "non-verbal
dance" (moving our bodies while talking) and its silent interpretation and
negotiations will define how much my "culture discourse" is successful and
successful for what. It is important to notice that "the truth" does not
pre-exist the consequences of our "non-verbal dance" and the negotiation of
its meaning but rather emerges from the consequences (our reflection on
them).

I put the term "culture" in quotation marks not to show that "it does not
actually exist" but to emphasize its nature as a social construction. Social
constructions can be no less real than any material reality: for example,
money can kill as real as knife.

"Culture discourse" does not necessary harmonize relations as in my example
above seems to suggest (although we still do not know the consequences of my
use of "culture discourse" to know that it did harmonize our relations), but
it can "balkanize" them as well. For example, treating disagreements on
teaching evolution in schools as "cultural" can balkanize some of the
participants of the conflict (e.g., professional biologists).

What do you think?

Eugene