Re: RE: RE: cr&c

From: Sarah Woodward Beck (sarah.beck@nyu.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 13:54:45 PST

Hi Carol,
Certainly when we are asked about culture - when we are interviewed by an ethnographer or if, trained in ethnography, we reflect on our own cultural memberships -- we become conscious of our goals. But otherwise we often are not. As you point out, intercultural conflict can make participants aware that not everyone shares their goals, but up to that point participants may not have been aware of their goals as such.

I also think that trust CAN be a part of culture. Other participants in the list have offered examples and given reasons for the dangers inherent in cultures of mistrust. In my earlier message I only meant that I did not see it as part of an essential definition.

As for your comment about goals, in which you wrote "However, on a practically level, we have
been asking students to set goals for about 40-50 years now, and this
practice might have simply become a superficial routine, and a blunt tool
for thinking." Here you are suggesting that when goals become routine they may drop from our conscious awareness. I'm not sure that's true. We know the value of classroom behavioral routines, which can free up cognitive space for higher-order thinking when they become automatic (or non-conscious) but I'm not sure a thinking routine works the same way. Unless we are talking about a teacher who has been teaching the same lesson with the same goal for years.

My original comments about goals and my elaboration on those comments here were influenced by my recent reading of David Olson's 2003 book, Psychological Theory and Educational Reform, in which he discusses goals as a characteristic of schooling, and schools as *institutions* as opposed to cultures. The significance of this characterization is that in institutions the rules and procedures are explicitly spelled out in written regulations whereas in cultures, rules and procedures are left implicit. I'm oversimplifying his argument a bit to make a point, but in general I think it reinforces what Wertsch wrote about the consciousness of goals in the context of an activity.

--Sarah