Re: Cohen et al.'s "Southern Culture of Honor" study

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@coe.uga.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 03:20:33 PST

The article itself is:
Cohen, D., Nisbett, R. E ., Bowdle, B., & Schwarz, N. (1996). Insult,
aggression, and the Southern culture of honor: An "experimental
ethnography." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 70, 945-960.

I should stress that by no definition of which I'm aware is this an
ethnography.

The researchers are all from the U. of MIchigan, the U. of
Illinois-Urbana/Champaign, and Northwestern, and all "subjects" were
students at the U. of Michigan.

This work has also been published in book form. See
http://www.perseusbooksgroup.com/perseus-cgi-bin/display/0-8133-1993-5
http://reason.com/9702/bk.wright.shtml

where it is hailed as landmark research. One reviewer does offer the caveat
(amazingly, in "Reason Online") that:
A possible weakness in the study is that the subjects were students at the
University of Michigan, hardly a typical batch of small-town Southern
rednecks. To people in the South, "going North" to college usually means
Vanderbilt or Duke, or possibly Virginia, so Southern males who end up at a
place like the University of Michigan are highly self-selected. At the same
time, a "typical batch of rednecks" would almost certainly react even more
strongly to these experimental conditions.

To me, the characterization of typical Southerners as "rednecks" tells me
all I need to know about the reviewer's biases in lauding the study.

Peter