Re: Cohen et al.'s "Southern Culture of Honor" study

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 13:31:37 PST

Something else, Peter. I just spent the weekend in Atlanta (I'm in SC or GA a
lot lately). I'm from, and live in, the North East and I have the impression
that the actions of the confederate would be considered less provocative
here. To be an equivalently provocative insult in Boston, the confederate's
actions might have to be more violent, maybe a punch in the nose. But gee,
wouldn't that say that Boston is more violent? The paper's interpretations
seem to assume that provocation is universal/cultureless.