RE: the psychology of dissent

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 19:49:06 PST

What I had in mind was:
http://www.marxists.org/archive/luria/works/1930/child/ch12.htm
The blind or deaf-mute child would be unable to live at all unless he
somehow compensated his shortcomings. His physical defect would leave him
too unadaptable. A special and peculiar mechanism, the compensation of
defects, thus comes into play. As he gains experience, the child learns how
to offset his natural shortcomings. Against a background of deficient
natural behavior certain cultural devices and skills begin to cover, or
compensate the defect, and enable the child to handle impossible tasks in
new, different ways. Deficient behavior begins to accumulate compensatory
cultural behavior, leading to the creation of a "defect culture", whereby
the disabled child acquires certain positive characteristics, in addition
to his negative ones. It is the latter, in our opinion, that the
psychologist should study above all else.
Andy