RE: real and virtual worlds

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 15:57:11 PST

Dear Andy-

I was thinking on your words, "I suppose this means that we all start with a
number things we pick up from living in the same capitalist world: the
Zeitgeist, the world market, the dominant social forces and realities, which
are the basis of "ideology". Although we all look at the world from
different viewpoints, we all look at the same world, with its characteristic
mirages and illusions."

This reminds me a legend about blind people describing an elephant. However,
in this legend what is shared is material body of the elephant while "ideal"
perceptions are different depending on a relative position of a blind person
touching the elephant. According to Andy's metaphor (in my understanding),
people seem to "touch" not on their material world but also (hegemonic?)
ideology. My first reaction was to object Andy's metaphor because usually
"boundary object" (Lee Star) is considered to be material rather than ideal
as ideology is. But then, I started thinking that ideology has huge material
aspect (e.g., flags, texts, movies). I remember that Jay developed a very
good point about materiality of ideology (especially hegemonic ideology) in
his book "Textual politics". Ideology is not only material but also involves
many practices (e.g., patriotic rituals). So, thanks, Andy, for a new
metaphor.

What do you think?

Eugene

  _____