Re: Vygotsky as individualist

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 04:59:25 PDT

In a message dated 5/1/2002 1:07:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
ksawyer@artsci.wustl.edu writes:

> "Those doing it" perhaps include Paul Cobb and Margaret Archer. In
> "Unresolved tensions" I focus on each theorist's position on inseparability
> and do my best to propose a way to bring everyone together; I am a "joiner"
> by nature, not a "splitter." My goal in the article is to identify some
> problems with a strict inseparability stance, and to show that empirical
> work always assumes analytic separability, even for those theorists who
> claim to hold to inseparability (for example, Rogoff and Hutchins).

Keith';

This reminded me of the article in Everyday Cognition about everyday math
skills where the authors [Lave was one and it might have been Rogoff as the
other] are discussing how someone budgets money spent in a grocery store.
The specific incident they are describing is figuring out the best deal and
within the context of inseperability they discuss an individual's specific
analysis of the problem. Whether Rogoff explains this as a plane, a level or
a widget it is still using an individual example to discuss socio terms. You
are correct in trying to unite these two schools of sociocultural
psychology.

eric