joint readings

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 14 2001 - 14:51:06 PST

I gather from the flow of discussion that folks have had all the time
they want to read/comment on the readings we initiated a few weeks ago,
althnough discussion can certainly continue (no one has comment on
Carl's piece, and I, at least, want to comment on the article of Michael's
I read (different from the one Judy read) in conjunction with Andy's
offer to come spend some time helping organize environments that afford
cooperative learning.

I am anxious to see if we can experiment with discussion of articles from
MCA. I think there are MANY articles there that could serve as the
media for useful discussions, anticipating that we will move on to
discussion of Learning by Expanding in April. The most recent issues
with the discussion of Visioning and Inscription practices, or the
Becker symposia, for example, not to mention individual articles in
recent issues, beg for discussion where there is now only silence.

What I am uncertain of is how to proceed. With unpublished articles/
books without copyright we can simply post on the web. But MCA is
a journal. It is not available for what I think is a low price
electronically, and therefore, in principle, accessible to everyone,
or almost everyone on this list (you need 31$ and a pdf file reading
capability).

Who does that exclude?
How could we work around that exclusion?

At this point, if he is still on xmca, Eugene would ask, what do you think?
not knowing if he is on xmca or not, I'll ask:

What do you think?
In particular, we need to hear from anyone who would be excluded by
such a line of action.

-----
38 years ago this coming summer, on our way back from Moscow to California,
Sheila and I turned on the car radio. Somewhere in the middle of
Nebraska we heard the words echoing off Washington's monument, and down
the corridors of history. the wish for all God's chlildren to be free at
last, free at last. Great God Almighty, Free at Last!

Happy Birthday MLK, and thanks.

---
mike