RE: RE: On Leontiev

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 06:36:12 PDT

Nate's example is quite revealing. We would hope, after all, that a psychology of learning and teaching would be applicable to a psychology of learning to make omelettes. Historical artifacts, recipes, scripts, kitchens, each with their peculiar ensemble of pots, pans, bowls, stoves, and so on. Just like the artifacts of the school classroom, itself also an artifact. The emergence of cooking schools, cook books, and TV cook shows. Just like the emergence of normal schools, textbooks, and educational TV. The omellete itself, has its own history, perhaps invented here and there, and taken up as a cultural form, an innovation that spread throughout. And then with all one can do in the kitchen, the omellete is not without the eggs, no matter how much effort one puts in, (barring tofu from the discussion). Looking at the fine grain of the labour process, in particular, for food service, it is the egg, cheese, and depending on the kind of omellete, the peppers, onions, chives, herbs, and so on that raise my curiousity. Especially the egg, with its special form and composition that contributes uniquely to the omellete -- from a domesticated chicken no doubt, and the chicken in most cases is fed human-grown grain. The egg, we exchange. We can buy it at a store, we put a package around it and it becomes a product. We can make omelletes with it, and serve them in restaurants.

And those chickens bother me too. Nate, you have brilliantly and completely scrambled some thoughts. I'll never look at chickens and eggs the same way again.

When thinking of learning and teaching, I draw a line, practically and concretely, albeit somewhat arbitrarily. When I taught my children to make an omellette, they did not need to know the history of the omellete (I still don't know it), nor about their dialectical relation to nature (too abstract for them), nor the history of cooking, nor how the chicken birthed the egg, nor how the egg was distributed, and sold in a store. We took it as a given, and that seems to be one of the powerful aspects of culture, i.e. standing on the shoulders of giants, but also here, standing on the shoulders of store clerks, farmers, and I dare say, chickens.

An omellete can be made in minutes, and the actions and the product exist fleetingly most of the time. If a person were to think about creating a restaurant, that is successful (sustainable), however, (s)he may gain insight from learning many of the other aspects of commercial cooking, such as food distribution, demographics, the history of local restaurants, and so on. The actions of restauranteering would have a different impact across people, things, and time, than making an omellette.

In coming to this discussion, Andy and I, for example, are interested in different forms of activity. He, as an opponent of bourgeois society may have sweeping reforms in mind, and I, I am keeping my vision focussed around learning and teaching. So he and I, just by example again, are interested in different aspects of Leont'ev. It seems we must be careful in insisting the discussion must focus on X, when it is X, like the egg in making an omellette, that may be something that some of us can take as a given.

bb