RE: illness and moral culpability

From: Navarro, Virginia L. (virginia_navarro@UMSL.EDU)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 10:53:12 PST

virginia - please post this reply to Nate....
Nate -
I'll reply to your specific question about how the field of special
education reacts to academics who describe disorders or disabilities as
social constructions. Historically, the two disciplinary traditions that
have formed the foundation of special education research and thought are
psychological measurement and behavioral psychology (see Tom Skrtic's work
on this). Special education has traditionally emphasized the use of
norm-referenced measures for purposes of accurate diagnoses and behavior
modification as the primary form of intervention/treatment.
Epistemologically, this makes for a field that holds pretty strongly to
objectivism. The disorders are assumed to be "in" the kids. We use
psychometrics to diagnose accurately who has it and who doesn't. Behavioral
approaches to treatment and instruction provide the most scientific means of
improving an individual's functioning.
Not surprisingly, special educators who espouse other than a non-objectivist
epistemology, who do not embrace psychometrics and behaviorism, tend to be
viewed as pretty odd. The work in the 1980's of Lous Heshusius and Mary
Poplin fit this bill. What is changing right now, though, is that the
non-objectivists (interpretivists, feminists, symbolic interactionists,
socioculturalists, social constructionists, whatever) are growing in number.
We (this malcontent rabble) recently formed a new AERA SIG called Disability
Studies in Education to provide a forum for support and growth of all these
non-positivist forms of scholarship. We've been finding that many doc
students who are joing the DSE are looking for legitimate ways of moving
beyond the behaviorism of their professors. It is becoming more difficult
for the traditional special educators to simply see this growing bunch as
strange but insignificant crew of oddballs.
In the past five years, I've published a few papers that take a social
constructionist slant on disorder/disability. Based on my experience, I can
say that some special educators have reacted with defensiveness and even
outrage. I've been called a "quack" and my writing "quackery" in print. I've
been verbally assaulted by strangers at conferences (they read my nametag).
US special education journals generally provide little opportunity for
social constructionist perspectives. Many of my friends rarely or never
publish in special education journals (Virginia and I submitted this ADHD
paper to an anthro journal). My last article was published in Disability &
Society, a leading British journal of the sociology of disability, after two
US special education journals rejected it without review. Another leading US
special education journal, Behavioral Disorders, recently (Dec. 99)
published an editorial policy requiring that all papers adhere to a
"positivist" orientation to science. To a very powerful (control most
journals), old school bunch of special educators, the very moral fibre of
our profession depends on a medical model of disability and an objectivist
epistemology.
Scot