Re: Personal mails, practice and identity in XMCA

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
19 Sep 1999 17:28:22 -0000

Hi, Victoria - Like everyone else I've known, I like very much to discuss my
own work :)

You wrote:
>>"Affect as a sign og mimesis at work" ... I am wondering would you consider
>>negative affect as also sign of mimesis at work, such as to the effect of
>>affecting non participants among the "girls" on XMCA.

Yes, I think transference is a mimetic function, but then, to be honest, I
don't know what I'm talking about. (I talk about it because I want to think
about it but I need time that I don't have to do that)

You also wrote:

>>thought that I started this conversation to discuss about affect and
identity on
>>XMCA, but it seems that we've strayed ...

I strayed. Did Bill Penuel recommend any readings in backchannel to you?
Bill, can you post any references you might have for Victoria on the list?
-- thank you.

Judith

>Firstly, let me introduce myself (to you, Judy, again). We met at the
recent AERA
>in Montreal, where I attended your presentation and also requested for a
copy of
>your paper. I've also recently received your paper via "snail-mail". Thanks
>heaps! I'ld would like to discuss it further with you later, if it's okay with
>you?.
>
>I've been working on the topic of A CHAT Perspective of Identity Construction
>(IC) (especially within the contexts of beyond schooling environments)
since late
>1996. Back then (in '96/97), I was still toying with the idea of a CHAT
>perspective to SRL (self-regulated learning) and motivation and even wrote
>something about it, though at the time, none of my colleagues at my faculty
have
>articulated this notion or shown any interest (XMCA was unknown to me at
the time
>too!). But reading about Lave and Wenger, and subsequently, Mike's book (on
>Cultural Psychology), and others as well, I've shifted my interest to identity,
>especially within religious COP. Nevertheless, I'm certain that the relations
>between SRL and IC is mediated/motivation by interest (or the lack of it? -
>somewhat mentioned in Wenger's book, "COP: Learning, meaning and identities.).
>
>Judy Diamondstone wrote:
>
>> Victoria, Since this question still preoccupies me, it was interesting to
>> see Bill's response to you that quoted me -- and to see my own rehashing of
>> Ann Freadman's text about -- well, about rehashing texts, in some sense...
>
>Perhaps, the "data-rich" description of Ann's text, as mentioned by Bill, and
>you, serves to further illuminate Bakhtin's novel articulation about the
problem
>of speech genres. In some sense, even our "conversation" highlights the
problems.
>Rehearsing texts in written forms, versus verbal utterances, and subsequently
>appropriating speech, are almost like living in two/more different planets.
If I