[Xmca-l] Re: Saussure vs Peirce

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Sat Mar 16 01:11:55 PDT 2019

I would  have appreciated a definition of some kind of what
the writer actually means by "utterance." In absence of that
"the word, as a compressed version of the utterance" is
nonsense, or at least a step backwards because it
obliterates a concept. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind saying
that the two are together the micro- and macro-units of
dialogue (or something having that meaning). The same as
Leontyev has two units of activity: action and activity, and
Marx has two units of political economy: commodity and
capital. To theorise a complex process you always need two
units.

The rest of what you have cited reminds me of what
Constantin Stanislavskii said about the units of an actor's
performance:

https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/seminars/stanislavskii.pdf

Andy

Andy Blunden