[Xmca-l] Re: Laws of evolution and laws of history

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sat Jan 17 13:38:11 PST 2015

Thanks, Rod   --  The relation of propaganda and education.

I was writing  about what I claimed education IS, not what it should be!
Source of confusion identified.
Concerning oughts, i am personally very sympathetic to your views as
intervening notes will confirm. The history of communication in 10 easy
weeks. I can dig out my old notes when I get to the office and send the
mimeographed outline the students used with the main points listed in an
orderly fashion (mimeograph? what's that?).  :-))

The question I keep asking is why, given our views about what education
"ought to be", has schooling always, with rare and privileged exception,
just what it was about in Ur 4-5000 years ago?? Why doesn't it go away? Why
do we wring our hands about children failing in schools when schools were
initially designed to be sure that a bunch of those who attend fail?

mike