These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[Xmca-l] Re: Do adults play?



How about symbolic play?  Imaginary and imperceivable jiggling atoms stand
in for what you can feel (hot/cold).

---
William Barowy, Ph. D.
Associate Professor,
Lesley University
29 Everett Street,
Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Desktop: http://bill.barowy.net/
Mobile: http://bill.barowy.net/m/
 
³I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how
to do it.²
--Pablo Picasso






On 10/21/13 2:34 PM, "Huw Lloyd" <huw.softdesigns@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 21 October 2013 14:28, Barowy, William <barowy@lesley.edu> wrote:
>
>> Feynman played:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3pYRn5j7oI
>>
>>
>>
>It's not clear (from the video) whether the anthropomorphising is rather a
>rhetorical expression of his own personal joy in the task.
>
>But, personally, I think that is beside the point.  It is the plasticity
>of
>play that is (for me) more interesting, and the effortful thinking he
>refers to is theorised (e.g. Baldwin) to be the application of this
>plasticity to objective circumstances.
>
>Huw
>
>
>
>> ---
>> William Barowy, Ph. D.
>> Associate Professor,
>> Lesley University
>> 29 Everett Street,
>> Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
>> Desktop: http://bill.barowy.net/
>> Mobile: http://bill.barowy.net/m/
>>
>> "I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how
>> to do it."
>> --Pablo Picasso
>>
>>
>>


Status: O