These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.
These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.
David, you cast doubt on the ancient idea that mathematics is the science of
quantity and said that Vygotsky was clear on this. If Vygotsky is so clear,
then you wouldn't need to go to an English translation of an Italian
translation to find Vygotsky refuting the idea that mathematics is the
science of quantity. But your re-translation doesn't say this anyway. The
colon was a typo.
-----------------
But let's take up the interesting point you raise anyway, even though it does
not say what you claimed it said, it is nonetheless interesting and
pertinent.
Am I right here? A child learns to survey the perceptual field and point to
things one after another reciting "one," "two,"three," ... and then remember
the number they say as they complete the practice. This is called "counting."
And I think it is a way children learn to abstract the units from a
collection in their perceptual field - pointing to each ion turn and saying
the next number. So I think they don't first abstract the actual objects and
then abstract number from this. Learning the practice of counting is how they
learn to abstract units from a whole.
Now, and this is the wonderful thing I learnt from Anna. Just because the
last number I said on completing counting wa "Five!" does not mean that I
know that there are 5 things. In fact, "Five" is a property of my counting
action; but I have to be taught to see "5" as a *property of the collection
of actual things*. AND then I have to learn that "5" is a *quantity* (a
cardinal as well as the last ordinal).
So there are two big conceptual leaps involved *after *I learn to abstract
things *by counting* them, before I get to the concept of quantity ... and
the beginnings of a type of mathematics (since other types of mathematics
will grow from other types of quantity).
So Bill, I think the position may be this (and please, I am way out of my
comfort zone here, but the July 4 holiday will be over soon and maybe the
cavalry will come to our rescue.) Your kids can't see any 2s in the 5 of 54,
because they see the 5 as an ordinal. They can see 2 2s in 4, because they
have been told so countless times, But they haven't been able to generalise
that knowledge because 5 does not "contain" 4, it is just the number "after"
4. OK? What do you think? Does that make sense?
Andy
David Kellogg wrote:
I don't understand this, Andy. The short answer is "Sure".
What is YOUR short answer supposed to mean? In particular, what does the
colon mean? I'm afraid the emoticons that we use in Korea are a little
different.
dk
--- On *Sat, 7/2/11, Andy Blunden /<ablunden@mira.net>/* wrote:
From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
Subject: Re: [xmca] Numbers - Natural or Real?
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Saturday, July 2, 2011, 5:33 AM
So the short answer is ":no."
a
David Kellogg wrote:
> Sure, Andy!
> This is from Luciano Meccaci's translation of "Thinking and
Speech", Chapter Six:
> > "If we may say so, the assimilation of a foreign language
raises
the level of the maternal language (rech) for the child as much as
the assimilation of algebra raises to a higher level the childs
arithmetic thinking, because it permits the child to understand
any arithmetical operation as a particular case of algebraic
operations, furnishing the child a freer, more abstract, more
generalized and at the same time more profound and rich view of
operations on concrete quantitites. Just as algebra frees the
thinking of the child from its dependence on concrete numbers and
raises it to a higher level of more generalized thinking, in the
same way the assimilation of a foreign language in completely
diverse ways frees verbal thinking from the grip of concrete forms
and concrete phenomena of language."
>
> > David Kellogg
>
> Seoul National University of Education
>
> > --- On *Fri, 7/1/11, Andy Blunden /<ablunden@mira.net
<http://us.mc1103.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=ablunden@mira.net>>/*
wrote:
>
>
> From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net
<http://us.mc1103.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=ablunden@mira.net>>
> Subject: Re: [xmca] Numbers - Natural or Real?
> To: "Culture ActivityeXtended Mind" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
<http://us.mc1103.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>>
> Date: Friday, July 1, 2011, 10:53 PM
>
> Can you give us your reference here David, in a pubished
> translation of Vygotsky?
> andy
>
> David Kellogg wrote:
> > ... I don't think that quantity IS the basic concept in
> mathematics, though. Vygotsky is pretty clear about this: just a
> preschooler has to be able to abstract actual objects away from
> groups in order to form the idea of abstract quantity, the
> schoolchild has to be able to abstract quantities away from
> numbers in order to form the idea of RELATIONS between
quantities,
> or OPERATORS.
> >
>
>
> __________________________________________
> _____
> xmca mailing list
> xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
<http://us.mc1103.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
>
<http://us.mc1103.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
> http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca
>
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Andy Blunden*
Joint Editor MCA:
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~db=all~content=g932564744
<http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title%7Edb=all%7Econtent=g932564744>
Home Page: http://home.mira.net/~andy/ <http://home.mira.net/%7Eandy/>
Book: http://www.brill.nl/default.aspx?partid=227&pid=34857
<http://www.brill.nl/default.aspx?partid=227&pid=34857>
MIA: http://www.marxists.org <http://www.marxists.org/>
__________________________________________
_____
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
<http://us.mc1103.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Andy Blunden*
Joint Editor MCA:
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~db=all~content=g932564744
Home Page: http://home.mira.net/~andy/
Book: http://www.brill.nl/default.aspx?partid=227&pid=34857
MIA: http://www.marxists.org
__________________________________________
_____
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca