[xmca] Solicitations

Dear xmca members,

many of you will know me as the editor of our journal, Mind, Culture and Activity. Fewer people will know that I am also editor of books series. With this mail, I wanted to encourage interested folks to submit book manuscripts or to write to me to explore possibilities of developing proposals. Here the titles of the two series (Sense Publishers is owned and run by 2 former Kluwer Academic Publishers and Springer-Verlag acquisition editors).
I hope some of you will be interested.
Cheers,
Michael

NEW DEVELOPMENTS IN MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE EDUCATION
(I co-edit this with Lieven Verschaffel from Belgium)
Mathematics and science education are in a state of change. Received models of teaching, curriculum, and researching in the two fields are adopting and developing new ways of thinking about how people of all ages know, learn, and develop. The recent literature in both fields includes contributions focusing on issues and using theoretical frames that were unthinkable a decade ago. For example, we see an increase in the use of conceptual and methodological tools from anthropology and semiotics to understand how different forms of knowledge are interconnected, how students learn, how textbooks are written, etcetera. Science and mathematics educators also have turned to issues such as identity and emotion as salient to the way in which people of all ages display and develop knowledge and skills. And they use dialectical or phenomenological approaches to answer ever arising questions about learning and development in science and mathematics.
	The purpose of this series is to encourage the publication of books that are close to the cutting edge of both fields. The series aims at becoming a leader in providing refreshing and bold new work—rather than out-of-date reproductions of past states of the art—shaping both fields more than reproducing them, thereby closing the traditional gap that exists between journal articles and books in terms of their salience about what is new. The series is intended not only to foster books concerned with knowing, learning, and teaching in school but also with doing and learning mathematics and science across the whole lifespan (e.g., science in kindergarten; mathematics at work); and it is to be a vehicle for publishing books that fall between the two domains—such as when scientists learn about graphs and graphing as part of their work.

Editorial Board Members: Angie Barton, Pauline Chinn, Brian Greer, Terezinha Nunez, Peter Taulor, Dina Tirosh, Manuela Welzel

PRAXIS OF RESEARCH METHODS

Research methods and research methodology are at the heart of the human endeavors that produce knowledge. Research methods and research methodology are central aspects of the distinction between folk knowledge and the disciplined way in which disciplinary forms of knowledge are produced. However, in the teaching of research methods and methodology, there traditionally has been an abyss between descriptions of how to do research, descriptions of research practices, and the actual lived research praxis.

The purpose of this series is to encourage the publication of books that take a very practical and pragmatic approach to research methods. For any action in research, there are potentially many different alternative ways of how to go about enacting it. Experienced practitioners bring to these decisions a sort of scientific feel for the game that allows them to do what they do all the while expressing expertise. To transmit such a feel for the game requires teaching methods that are more like those in high-level sports or the arts. Teaching occurs not through first principles and general precepts but by means of practical suggestions in actual cases. The teacher of method thereby looks more like a coach. This series aims at publishing contributions that teach methods much in the way a coach would tell an athlete what to do next. That is, the books in this series aim at praxis of method, that is, teaching the feel of the game of social science research.

Editorial Board Members: Stephen Billett, Franz Breuer, Margaret Eisenhart, Kadriye Ercikan, Xiufeng Liu, David Middleton, Margrit Schreier_______________________________________________